Changhai’s Shrimp Soup
Ingredients: Serves 4
1/4 pound shrimp, peeled and cooked
2 1/2 cups chicken stock*
2 slices ginger, smashed
2 scallions, smashed
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water chestnuts, sliced
5 mushrooms, sliced (or ¼ cup canned)
1/4 cup green peas
2 teaspoons cornstarch plus 1 tablespoon water for dissolving
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sherry or Chinese cooking wine
Sriracha to taste
1. Cook shrimp in a separate pot and reserve.
2. Bring chicken stock, ginger and scallion to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the ginger and scallions.
3. Add tomato paste, salt and pepper. Simmer for another 2 minutes.
4. Slice mushrooms and water chestnuts (not too thin).
5. Add shrimp and vegetables and cook until mixture just begins to boil.
6. Dissolve cornstarch in water and slowly add to soup, stirring constantly. Simmer for another minute and then turn off the heat.
7. Add sesame oil, sherry (Chinese cooking wine) and a dash of Sriracha, if you like a spicy kick.