Makes two 8-inch (20 cm) pancakes
1 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup rice flour
1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt or kosher salt
1 1/2 cups (500 ml) water
1 large zucchini, cut into 2-inch long matchstick strips
1 carrot, cut into 2-inch long matchstick strips
1 medium onion, cut into thin strips
3 scallions white and green top, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons canola or other neutral oil
Soy Scallion Dipping Sauce(recipe below)
1. In a large bowl combine the flour, rice flour, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir until batter is smooth.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini and remaining salt. Let the zucchini sit for 5 minutes. Squeeze the liquid from the zucchini and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Add the zucchini, carrots, onions and scallions to the batter and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
4. In a medium-size skillet on medium high heat, add the oil and heat for 30 seconds.
5. To cook the pancake, pour half the batter into the skillet, distributing the ingredients evenly around the skillet. When the batter is set and the bottom is a golden brown, turn the pancake over. With the back of the spatula, press down and flatten the surface of the pancake. Continue to fry for several minutes until the pancake is a golden brown and the edges are crisp. Repeat the turning and pressing one or two more times or until there is very little batter coming through the cooked surface.
6. Set a wire cake rack on a baking sheet. Transfer the pancake to the rack. This will allow oil to drip onto the
sheet and keep the pancake from becoming greasy. Repeat with remaining batter. Make two vertical cuts and two horizontal cuts, about about 9 pieces.
7. Serve with individual bowls of the Soy Scallion Dipping Sauce.
Soy Scallion Dipping Sauce
1/4 cup (65 ml) soy sauce
2 tablespoons mild vinegar such as apple cider or rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
2 teaspoons coarse red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons crushed sesame seeds
1/4 cup scallions, finely chopped
1. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, water and sesame oil.
2. Add the red pepper powder, sesame seeds and scallions. Mix until combined. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. This will keep for one week.