This is an updated version of the old presentation that is served with vanilla ice cream and liquer-infused whipped cream. Here the berries are macerated in Cointreau and sugar.
Ingredients: Serves 4
1 quart strawberries, rinsed and hulled (leave 4 berry stems intact)
1/4 cup Cointreau or other orange liqueur or orange juice
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
4 tablespoons sour cream
1. In a large bowl place the strawberries (save the 4 berries with stems). Sprinkle with Cointreau or orange liqueur or juice and granulated sugar. Stir gently. Let the berries sit for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
2. In an electric mixer with a chilled bowl, beat the cream and confectioners’ sugar until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
3. In another bowl, whisk the sour cream to lighten it. Using a large rubber spatula, fold the sour cream into the whipped cream a spoonful at a time.
4. With a slotted spoon, divide the berries among 4 glass dishes or large stemware. Add some of the berry liquid to each dish.
5. Top with several dollops of the whipped cream mixture. Garnish each dish with a whole strawberry.