These little onions make a wonderful condiment with roasted meat dishes, as part of an antipasto platter or served on their own as an appetizer served with drinks.
Sweet and Sour Onions
1 1/2 pounds cipolline, Italian baby onions or yellow pearl onions
4 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Bring 4 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil.
2. Add the onions and turn heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Drain the onions into a colander and let cool until easy to handle.
4. With a sharp knife remove the small stem at the bottom peel the skin off the onions.
5. Put the onions back into the pan.
6. Add ¼ cup of water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Turn on the heat and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for approximately 10 minutes until the vinegar mixture has almost evaporated. There should be a light glaze on the onions.